Why Is Proper Dental Care In California So Important?
Regular dentist visits can do more than keep your smile beautiful – they can also reveal a lot about your overall health, including whether you may be at risk for chronic disease. Today we’re discussing why proper dental care in California is so vitally important.
Research suggests that the health of your mouth mirrors the condition of your entire body. For example, if your oral health is good, chances are good that your overall body is healthy too. Similarly, if your oral health is poor, you may experience other health problems.
Gum Disease And Health Issues
The Academy of General Dentistry reports that there is a connection between gum disease and health problems such as heart disease and stroke. Women who have gum disease also show higher occurrences of low birth weight and pre-term babies.
And more than 90% of all diseases that affect organs or the body have oral indicators, including mouth ulcers, dry mouth, excessive gum problems, and swollen gums. Some of these disorders include:
- Pancreatic cancer;
- Kidney disease;
- Oral cancer;
- Heart disease.
Since most people have regularly scheduled oral exams, their dentist may be the first health care provider to identify and diagnose a health condition in its earlier stages.
Dentist in Woburn, MA – Visit our affordable skilled Dentist in Woburn, MA. Accepting new appointments. Call today or request an appointment online.
Poor Dental Care in California Can Lead To Other Issues
Without proper dental care, your poor oral hygiene can actually lead to other health problems, including the following.
- Digestive issues: Digestion begins with chemical and physical processes in the mouth, and those problems can cause irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), intestinal failure, and other digestive issues.
- Problems with the heart and other main organs: Infections that develop in the mouth can affect major organs. For instance, the heart and valves can become swollen by a condition that affects people who have heart disease or anyone with damaged heart tissue.
- Facial and Oral Pain: This pain is often due to infection of the gums that can lead to tooth loss.
Proper Dental Care in California: Steps You Can Take
Visiting a dentist regularly helps to keep your mouth in its best shape and allows your dentist to look for changes that may be a symptom of other health problems.
A thorough dental exam can also identify poor hygiene and nutrition, developmental and growth issues and incorrect jaw alignment. Be sure to provide your dentist with your entire medical history informing her or him of any recent health concerns, even if they seem unconnected to your dental training
At home, you can practice good dental care in California by doing the following.
- Flossing daily to remove plaque.
- Brushing with fluoridated toothpaste two times per day for a minimum of two minutes.
- Consuming a healthy diet to provide the necessary nutrients necessary to avoid gum disease (vitamins A and C).
- Avoid smokeless tobacco and cigarettes.
Don’t take your oral or overall health for granted. If you would like more information regarding proper dental care in California – or want to schedule your next dental checkup – contact us today to schedule an appointment.