What Are the Common Use Cases for Velvet Rope Stanchions?
Just about every public or commercial facility needs some basic tools in place to facilitate the orderly flow of foot traffic in and out of the building, through ticketing or checkout lines, or simply to indicate where patrons are not meant to go. For many occasions, a simple retractable belt barrier, (like those found in airports for example) is sufficient and this is indeed one of the most common crowd control stanchions used. However, there are many special occasions which may require something more elegant, more timeless, or simply more attractive.
Take wedding venues for example. Today’s newlyweds in America spend tens of thousands of dollars on their special day, some ~$2,500 of that going to flowers and decorations alone. With meticulous planning and an extensive amount of attention on the atmosphere, standard retractable belt barriers are far less common for these events. Instead, venues like these tend to make use of a more timeless crowd control classic – the classic velvet rope and post stanchion.
Just as effective as retractable belts, these are simpler structures with a more timeless design, reminiscent of old Hollywood red carpet events. These simple structures include a simple decorative post and often a velvet rope that clips from post to post.
Here are the most common use cases for classic post and velvet rope stanchions:
- Post and rope stanchions are commonly used in theaters for ticketing lines and to block entry before a show begins. One common style for this particular venue which you may have seen yourself is a brass stanchion post with a maroon velvet rope, (like the Montour Line version here.) This style is very common in theater settings.
- Post and rope stanchions are also popular at weddings and other special red carpet events. In these cases, a velvet rope and red carpet kit like this one may be used. For these events, the rope and stanchion color may vary some, but the post is typically either silver or brass and the rope is either red or black, depending on the rug color.
- Casinos and nightclubs are also popular instances for velvet post and rope stanchions, and in these circumstances, there can be a lot of variation in style. Waiting lines for these kinds of venues may be more common use cases for a less traditional black stanchion post finish type for instance, and less traditional velvet rope colors as well. Specialty colors like purple or gold may be used to coordinate with a business’ brand, for example.
But here are some additional features which make these classic post and ropes popular for VIP events:
- Finish types are designed to match existing decor:
Classic stanchion posts like the ones you see above are available in almost as many finish styles as the rest of facility’s hardware fixtures. This makes it easier to match an existing style. For instance historical sites may have old brass or gold elements which may look awkward with silver steel. Custom post finishes allow interior designers to choose the post which matches best.
- Stylish post tops can make a post appear more or less elegant:
Some posts appear more elegant or “fancy” than others. For instance crown top styles and flat top styles are more subtle while ball tops look much more reminiscent of the classic style, and may look more elegant for that reason.
- Velvet ropes are reminiscent of the classic red carpet style:
While there are many rope types which can be paired with these
classic posts including everything from plastic chains to hemp ropes, velvet ropes are the most common, and possibly the most elegant. While red and black are the most common colors, there are a wide variety of custom colors available, so this can be a tool for amplifying brand colors as well.
Standard Velvet Rope Colors:
Specialty Velvet Rope Colors:
In your own interactions, see how often you notice these classic post and rope stanchion use cases. While the retractable belt version of this device may have additional conveniences, this classic style is still incredibly popular for its refined appearance.